Monday, August 29, 2011

Words are my favorite things. I savor the way they resonate in my mind or linger in the air like a spritz of perfume. My love affair with language blossomed in elemenatry school when the first word I could read was "cat." At the time a lively assortment of eight cats resided in the cow barn on my family's farm, and the connection between a printed word on a flashcard and my life was immediate, and powerful. I was charmed. Reading and writing became my passions. My intent with this blog is to nurture the romance in a new way. Like any relationship, maybe it will work out. Maybe it won't. Meanwhile, thank you for stopping by.  Feel free to add your words to mine.  

1 comment:

  1. We have had the good fortune of hosting a Chinese student in our home. She came to us with limited social skills and a shy personality. These traits made it hard for her to find her place in a well established senior class of a small high school. She had learned at a young age that showing any sort of emotion was taboo. No visible anger, sadness, or happiness was appropriate. As a result she had a hard time making friends. As we were driving home from school one afternoon she spoke these words. "I think I received some bad information when I was a child. I think a smile shortens the distance." This statement was both simple and profound at the same time. I will never forget her words.

    ReplyDelete