Monday, September 5, 2011

On August 12, I completed a 65,000 word memoir titled, Sing Me a Lullaby. It was a six year journey that saw many false starts - and successes. SMAL is the story of my journey through high school as a single mother living alone with my infant daughter in rural Maine in the 70s. During the writing I accumulated three 3-ring binders crammed with lists, timelines, research notes, drafts, copies of legal documents, obituary notices, maps, photographs, newspaper clippings, and copies of medical records. I read diaries and love letters. I filled 4 composition notebooks with rough drafts, brimming with poor sentences that thankfully will never see the light of day, and rich sentences that hopefully will. I wore out a dictionary. I created 20 file folders - one for each chapter - and filled them with more notes and drafts, which I eventually shared with my writing group. Typing "The End" was bittersweet. Now I am querying literary agents to represent the work. In the meantime there's a space within me waiting to be filled. I am filling it with writing.  

1 comment: