Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Summer Wanes


Summer is leaning toward autumn and the beginning of a new school year. Outside, the last of my Black-eyed Susans are blooming. Goldenrod and ragweed fill pastures and roadside ditches. Insects and crickets chirp in the grass, seeking mates. Gardens are rich with harvest.

Inside, I'm revising syllabi, planning class activities, and thumbing through new textbooks to get a feel for their weight and content in my hands. Next week I'll begin my 14th year of teaching at the college level. I'm excited about greeting new students and welcoming returning ones. This weekend they'll arrive on campus carrying hope in their hearts and sporting equipment, pens, notebooks, laptops, and thumb drives in their luggage. For many they're the first in their family to attend college. They want to make their parents proud. It's my job to help them do so, and I don't shrug off the challenge lightly. I've learned it's a privilege and honor to teach.

Therefore, I'm tucking away summer's memories for revisiting when winter's winds howl through the trees and snow ticks against the windows. I'm applying a fresh shine to my sense of humor, positive attitude, and checking the wattage of my smile. I'm buying new shoes. Attitude is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment