Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Prayers & Gratitudes

I will call on you, O God, for you will answer me, give ear to me, and hear my prayer.
- Psalm 17:6 (NIV)

Each night, before I turn down the blankets on my bed, I record my prayers and 5 things that have blessed me during the day into my "Prayers & Gratitudes" journal. I don't fret about spelling or punctuation or neatly filling in the lines.

First, I list prayers for others (2-footed, 4-footed, and those with fins and wings). I include prayers for myself and our fallen world desperately in need of God's justice. My prayers contain thanksgiving, petition, repentance, and lamentations. After all, a pretty journal doesn't guarantee pretty thoughts. Occasionally (often) entries veer off into whiny complaints before I steer my words to more positive pursuits.

Writing prayers keeps them real and close to my heart. I can flip back and forth between pages and note where and when a prayer has been answered or is "still pending." I can see growth (or need for growth) in my faith journey and walk with the Lord. 

Gratitudes keep me humble. I'm reminded not to take my life or the relationships within it for granted. Usually I write down more than 3 items, whether it's gratitude for a hot mug of cider or God's Word to guide me through each day's challenges.

My day doesn't feel complete until I've named my prayers and blessings. Writing calms my body, disciplines my thoughts, and keeps my focus on God - where I desire it to be. The writing takes 5-15 minutes, which is no longer than time spent washing my face and brushing my teeth. I leave the day behind on the page and at God's ear. Only then do I turn out the bedside lamp and rest in God's hands with this going to sleep verse: I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8 (NIV) 


Have you considered keeping a Prayers & Gratitudes journal? Perhaps this Advent season would be a good time to begin one.

No comments:

Post a Comment